top 10 items to put on your wedding registryMonday, April 04, 2016
It's hard to believe, but Tyler and I are quickly approaching our one year wedding anniversary. The next few Monday posts are going to be about wedding planning. Today's post is all about what to put on your wedding registry. I wrote a post about our process of registering last year. You can read it here. The focus of today's post is going to be all about the top 10 items to put on your wedding registry. My post is composed of the 5 items I am so glad we registered for and 5 items I wish we had registered for!
The Top 5 Items I am Glad We Registered For:
1. Kitchen Aid Mixer: A staple for wedding registries, but honestly we use it all the time. I had a friend who asked if we ever used ours, since they are a pricey piece to include on your registry. The answer? Yes! We use it all the time for baking, shredding meat (my favorite use for it), mixing dips, etc. I would say we probably use it at least once a week. I would definitely make sure you register for this if you enjoy baking or cooking. If you use yours for something unique that I didn't list here, please leave a comment! I would love to learn more ways to use mine.
2. Luggage: Another item that I think is quite common for wedding registries is a nice set of luggage. Tyler and I registered for a matching carry-on bag and checked bag. It is nice to have new, good quality luggage. Between traveling for leisure, traveling for work, and just going home to visit family on the weekend, we get so much use out of our luggage! We only registered for one set, but if you don't have any nice luggage at all I would recommend adding one set for each of you on to your registry.
3. Fan Zone Goodies: As you all know by now, Tyler and I are huge Royals fans. Tyler added a few Royals items to our registry. This is such a fun item to put on your registry, as I personally believe your registry should reflect who you are as a couple. For our wedding we received a Royals blanket and a photograph of Kauffman Stadium during the World Series. Other fun options you could add to support your team are a clock, art work, or tailgating gear. Tyler wasn't as interested in registering as I was, so if your guy is the same way, letting them choose some items for their man cave may be a way to get them excited about the process!
4. Coffee Maker: One of the items off our registry that we use all the time is our coffee maker. Tyler and I registered for a traditional coffee maker, as we drink too much coffee for a Keurig. We would go through so many pods in a weekend! This is our first nice coffee maker and we love it. It has a timer so we can set it to automatically start in the morning and it brews quickly. Honestly, this is probably the most used item we registered for haha.
5. Knife Block: Before we were married, Tyler and I were using a hand-me-down knife block. It worked fine, but the knives were starting to show their age. Sometimes it's just nice to get an upgrade for an item you use constantly!
The Top 5 Items I Wish We Registered For:
1. Holiday Décor: This doesn't really fit with the time of year we got married, but if you are getting married anytime around the holiday season, I think it would be so nice to register for holiday décor! Wouldn't it be so cute to have a bridal shower that is all Christmas themed and everyone brought a Christmas decoration or Christmas ornament? With how early stores put out items for the holidays, if you got married anytime after October 1st, I feel like you could take advantage of this. I personally always try to buy a "fun item" off the registry, so if I saw something like this included I would buy it. One of our favorite gifts we received was a nativity set. It was so fun to unpack it this year and use it for our first Christmas as a married couple. We also used some of our gift cards from our wedding to buy some holiday plates! (The above picture is from a holiday event I attended at Nebraska Furniture Mart.)
2. Air Mattress: An air mattress is something that would be SO useful to have. Since we are from Nebraska, but live in KC, we have quite a few friends and family who come to visit and stay with us. We currently only have one guest room, so it would be handy to have the air mattress for when more than 2 people are visiting! Honestly, I feel like Tyler and I talked about registering for one, so I'm not sure how we left it off the list. If you tend to have visitors, or go visit other people frequently, I imagine you'd get quite a bit of use out of this item!
3. Patio Furniture/Accessories: We didn't think to register for anything for our patio, but we did use some of our gift cards to purchase some after the wedding. Items like an umbrella stand, an umbrella, new chair cushions, or even some outdoor storage would all make a great wedding gift for anyone who enjoys spending time outside. If you enjoy grilling, don't forget a nice grill cover! One of Tyler's favorite gifts I bought him while we were dating was a tailgate grill. These are another nice thing to have as they are perfect for transporting to sporting events, camping, etc.
4. Home Décor: This is something we really couldn't register for, since we were in a rental at the time of our wedding. We didn't know what our future home would look like! However, if you have already bought your house or know the design you're going for, your wedding registry is a great place to register for some lamps, a mirror, wall décor, vases, etc. Those types of pieces can get quite pricey once you start decorating a room (let alone an entire house)! We did register for a few items that would fit no matter where we ended up, like table lights. If you're already in your home, pick out the lights you want on your night stands, or the artwork you want to hang above your fireplace. (If you're worried about items getting pricey, you can always use your gift cards or cash to purchase these items. However, most stores offer a discount off the items that don't get purchased on your registry. This is usually 10%, but it varies by store. For that reason, it's worth it to put some pricier items on your registry since you can get a discount on them after your wedding date!)
5. Vacuum: I imagine this is not a common item for a registry, but it would be so nice to have a fancy vacuum! The one we have now is fine, but it gets too hot and dies quickly. Then we have to wait for it to cool off before we can turn it back on. It is such a pain! I would love to have something nicer, and more reliable, like a Dyson or Shark. This is an item that I personally would not have expected to receive as a wedding gift, but it would have been great to use the store discount on the item after the wedding was over. (Some stores may have exclusions on brands you can use the post-wedding discount on, so make sure you read the policy so you aren't disappointed at check out!)
If I could add anything else to this list, it would definitely be storage or organization equipment. We registered for quite a few baskets, bins, tupperware, etc. and they are all so handy to have!
I think the key is to take a look at what you need and then also consider your interests. If you are looking for a good store to register at, definitely check out Nebraska Furniture Mart! You can select items from all of the above listings, and more, for your registry through them! They will have you covered as you are picking out what you need in your new life together.
If you don't need anything for the home, another great option is to register for things for your honeymoon. I have seen some people who's registry is all for their honeymoon and wedding guests can pay for excursions, spa treatment, etc. There are so many options so get creative!
Of course this is just a short list, so if you have some items that you recommend please leave them in the comments!
a Rafflecopter giveaway Linking up with More Pieces of Me and B Loved Boston.
I would love it if you would follow me on GFC or Bloglovin'!